Fria Annual Ryegrass
Annual ryegrass is a quick growing, cool season annual grass. Annual ryegrass has come under scrutiny recently as a cover crop, however the species still provides benefits much needed across the Midwest: nutrient sequestration, erosion control and compaction alleviation. It also adds biomass and organic matter while improving soil structure. With proper management in areas where it overwinters, annual ryegrass should be considered as a viable option – both for cover cropping and/or forage established quickly – excellent at controlling erosion and suppressing weed development.
- Fria is a ‘diploid’ annual ryegrass – meaning greater tolerance to grazing and typically greater carbohydrate storage for improved cold tolerance
- Quick producer of high levels of biomass
- Later maturity – more flexibility in spring for management and termination
- Price: Call
- Seeding Rate (lbs per acre): 20-25 (drilled), 25-35 (broadcast)
- Seeding Date: August - November